Paleo philosophy is based around eating wholesome, present foods from certain food groups. The diet mirrors the diets of caveman during the agricultural days.
Foods that are allowed in the diet are fresh and no strictly no processed foods. Fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, vegetables, sea-foods, fresh foods, avocado, coconut, walnut and flaxseeds are allowed in this diet.
Processed foods, sugars, pasta, cereals, sweets/chocolate and legumes are not allowed in this diet.
• No trans fat which will reduce the risk of getting heart disease
• Lean protein promotes healthy bones and immune functioning
• Allows you to have as much fruit and vegetable as you wants.
• Scientific research suggests that diets high in monounsaturated and omega 3 fats dramatically reduce the instances of; cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
• Reduce the risk of chronic disease
• Helps stabilize blood sugar level
• Excludes two main food groups: grains and diaries
• Low in calcium can result in osteoporosis
My thoughts on the Paleo Diet
The Paleo is based on caveman during agricultural times where the average life expectancy was 35. I’m not sure we can fully adapt this this kind of diet on the generation of today. There are some good benefits with the diet and reduces key risks, however, I believe this can be done by promoting a balanced and healthy diet. I’m not keen on leaving out two main food groups. Breads and pasta have a purpose in our day to day diets, eliminating them completely isn’t healthy.
List of foods which need to be used in the Paleo diet
Fish- Lobster, Salmon, Clams, Shrimp,
Ground Beef/ Grass Fed Beef
Grass fed butter
Foods with * next to them are higher in starch limit the amount consumed in one day.
Few meal ideas for the Paleo diet
Omelet Spinach and mushrooms made with coconut oil
Handful of nuts
Salmon avocado salad with a tea spoon of olive oil
Sliced peppers with guacamole
Grilled chicken, vegetables and half roasted sweet potatoe
Omelet with bacon and avocado
Butternut squash with grilled chicken salad with pine nuts
Fruit and nut salad
Steak with Leafy Vegetables
Scrambled eggs with salmon and spinach
Handful of nuts
Figs and berry blast fruit bowl
Venison steak with salad and sweet potatoes wedges